Mets Refugees  

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > New York Mets

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2018, 02:49 PM   #161
trikery
Refugee
 
trikery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRomy View Post
Because they blame him for the team's offensive struggles early while ignoring that he was playing with two fairly debilitating injuries because the rest of the offense was either on the DL already or just coming off it. I gained a ton of respect for Bruce this year. He was diagnosed with the plantar fasciitis around the same time Duda was in KC. Dude ended up missing close to two months because of it. Bruce played through it.
I've had plantar fasciitis in the past. I can't see how he kept playing with it, that shit can be a never-ending issue.
trikery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:54 PM   #162
blueNorange
Refugee
 
blueNorange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: (° ͜ʖ°)_╭∩╮
Posts: 51,509
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikery View Post
I've had plantar fasciitis in the past. I can't see how he kept playing with it, that shit can be a never-ending issue.
i've had it too, once you're moving it's fine ... it's when you stop, then go that kills you.
__________________
blueNorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #163
NYRomy
Refugee
 
NYRomy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 13,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Pornstache View Post
Or maybe it’s because he was blocking our best player early in the year, is signed for $13 million/yr for 2 more years on a team strapped for cash, and is now blocking our best offensive prospect.
And how, exactly, is that his fault? Blame the organization for not believing in Nimmo. Blame Conforto for rushing back too quickly from his shoulder surgery. To hate a guy who played through injuries to help the team is just stupid. It's something Yankees fans would do.
__________________
"i wish there was a "crybaby list" i can add you to so all your posts would leak tears and appear in pink text in reference to your gigantic vagina."

-ChocolateZorro
NYRomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:05 PM   #164
Jose Pornstache
Refugee
 
Jose Pornstache's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,551
Default

I don’t hate the guy. Just a waste of resources.
Jose Pornstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:08 PM   #165
trikery
Refugee
 
trikery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 332
Default

I'm sure I will catch flak for it, but I think Bruce and Frazier have a place on a contending team like this for next season. We went from a lineup of older guys to something of a younger crew over the course of the season. With McNeil, Rosario, Conforto, Nimmo, and Alonso next season likely all in the starting 8.
The team needs a few vets out there to keep them hustling. Fact is Ces is not that leadership guy, I think Bruce and Frazier can keep them focused nicely as long as they are healthy. The team needs a vet catcher in the offseason, hopefully Ramos or Grandal.

Last edited by trikery; 09-19-2018 at 03:11 PM.
trikery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #166
ugottaBelieve
Get off my Lawn!
 
ugottaBelieve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mojave Desert
Posts: 54,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikery View Post
I'm sure I will catch flak for it, but I think Bruce and Frazier have a place on a contending team like this for next season. We went from a lineup of older guys to something of a younger crew over the course of the season. With McNeil, Rosario, Conforto, Nimmo, and Alonso next season likely all in the starting 8.
The team needs a few vets out there to keep them hustling. Fact is Ces is not that leadership guy, I think Bruce and Frazier can keep them focused nicely as long as they are healthy. The team needs a vet catcher in the offseason, hopefully Ramos or Grandal.
I think we might have a place for a guy who hits .220 with a .300 OBP but runs into 20 HR and plays decent defense.

I don't think we should have a place for a guy who hits .220 with a .300 OBP but runs into 10 HR and plays shitty defense.
ugottaBelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:01 PM   #167
trikery
Refugee
 
trikery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugottaBelieve View Post
I think we might have a place for a guy who hits .220 with a .300 OBP but runs into 20 HR and plays decent defense.

I don't think we should have a place for a guy who hits .220 with a .300 OBP but runs into 10 HR and plays shitty defense.
I mean is that directed at Frazier? Who is this directed at? You can't mean Bruce.
trikery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #168
MrPeterCrouch
Refugee
 
MrPeterCrouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,469
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Pornstache View Post
I don’t hate the guy. Just a waste of resources.
it's amazing how everyone says this and then completely ignores the fact that we have a guy making 30 mill a year that never plays
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJERATI View Post
Lol @ liking a song called the dreaming tree
MrPeterCrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #169
ugottaBelieve
Get off my Lawn!
 
ugottaBelieve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mojave Desert
Posts: 54,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikery View Post
I mean is that directed at Frazier? Who is this directed at? You can't mean Bruce.
It means I'd rather keep Frazier than Bruce, and certainly not both.
ugottaBelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #170
trikery
Refugee
 
trikery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugottaBelieve View Post
It means I'd rather keep Frazier than Bruce, and certainly not both.
Bruce has looked himself since coming back from the injury. He is a slugging corner OF option and Cespedes is dead, so I don't see the problem with keeping both.
trikery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #171
ugottaBelieve
Get off my Lawn!
 
ugottaBelieve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mojave Desert
Posts: 54,178
Default

Because if you have three or four guys who can't hit RHP (Bruce, Frazier, C, P) -- your lineup is in trouble 80% of the time.

We can afford one of those guys in the lineup, not two.
ugottaBelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:34 PM   #172
trikery
Refugee
 
trikery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugottaBelieve View Post
Because if you have three or four guys who can't hit RHP (Bruce, Frazier, C, P) -- your lineup is in trouble 80% of the time.

We can afford one of those guys in the lineup, not two.
What are you talking about, Bruce historically hits RHP just fine. Frazier has a 780 OPS on RHP this season. Also, adding a better catcher in the offseason is certainly a possibility, that seems to be the open spot they acknowledge most.
trikery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:58 AM   #173
Buddy Lembeck
Super Moderator
 
Buddy Lembeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 82,662
Default

Bruce has a 2.5 WAR (rWAR or fWAR, take your pick) total over his last 5 seasons, over 2700 PA, spanning from ages 27-31. He hasn't been consistently productive and healthy since his early to mid 20s.

If he's not in a long slump, he's hurt (and like earlier this year he'll deny being hurt and fuck over his team). If you can dump that contract, you do it (but good luck getting anyone to bite on a good amount of the $30M remaining). And of course the Pons will try to milk every penny out of that $30M and block some unnamed 1B who will help them sell tickets in Syracuse.

Meanwhile Frazier will still give you 2 WAR even in a shitty injury riddled season for him and his remaining contract salary is like 25% of Bruce's.

Last edited by Buddy Lembeck; 09-20-2018 at 02:24 AM.
Buddy Lembeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #174
Joey Dirt
Hopes Community College Can Compare
 
Joey Dirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennySammy View Post
i know people want to shit on Bruce, but he consistently had an OPS in the .800s and has been a 30 HR threat throughout his career, and now that he's finally healthy this season, he's showing that same consistency

not saying to pencil him in as an everyday starter, but to act like you'd want to just sit a bat like that and never play him is kinda dumb...if anything, find a suitable match and trade him...but if he's on the team, you'd have to find a way to get his bat into the lineup...what he's doing now that he's back from injury is basically what he did when he was with us last season...how would you want that production to never play?
How are you still so dumb
__________________
Angels Baseball 2018!!! Trout and Ohtani take down the evil empire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoProblems
There is also the fact that when we got back to her place I needed to drop a fat shit, which I absolutely should have done at the restaurant but did not for some reason. No spray, no candles, no nothin. I was praying she didn't have to use the bathroom for a few minutes after I went, but of course the universe hates me and she went in like 3 minutes later. I'm thinking that Eu de MoMo did not help the situation.
Joey Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #175
Ford Prefect
I ❤ Twilight
 
Ford Prefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 32,903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeterCrouch View Post
it's amazing how everyone says this and then completely ignores the fact that we have a guy making 30 mill a year that never plays
Fair enough, but find me a Mets fan who was against resigning Cespedes.
Ford Prefect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #176
trikery
Refugee
 
trikery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 332
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
Fair enough, but find me a Mets fan who was against resigning Cespedes.
I was.
trikery is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > New York Mets
 
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.