Mets Refugees  

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > New York Mets

Old 01-15-2019, 01:04 PM   #1
nexxt
NeXXXTentacion

Location: probably in the sky, flying with the fishes, or maybe in the ocean, swimming with the pigeons
Default Starting pitching free agent market

This appears to be an area the Mets want to upgrade but haven't yet done so. Mostly because the top starting pitchers are still unsigned. Keuchel and Gio would likely fall in line after him. I don't expect we're in on either of them.

Once they're off the board, there are quite a few interesting guys out there who would appear to fall in line with the Mets. Guys who can be had on cheap, short-term deals with low $$, and most likely an upgrade to our 5th spot (Vargas).

Clay Buchholz
Marco Estrada
Jeremy Hellickson
Wade Miley
Drew Pomeranz
Ervin Santana

I like all of those, but I think I'm most intrigued by Ervin Santana and hoping for a nice bounceback from a guy who was coming off two seasons of 8.6 WAR (3.9 in 2016 - 4.6 in 2017). He also was durable making over 60 starts and throwing almost 400 innings.

A finger injury sidelined him most of last year and he never got going. That it wasn't an elbow or shoulder gives me less concern though I'm not sure how the injury has come along.
nexxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
hammerhead
R u a qt? lol

Cool with any of those but too bad Brodie loves Vargas
hammerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:16 PM   #3
DwrightFan5
Refugee

Anyone think shields or fister for barely anything on a 1yr deal can be a positive? Shields probably better
DwrightFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:19 PM   #4
DwrightFan5
Refugee

All of the guys you listed outside of bucholz probably get more money than Mets want to pay. 1 for 7 was too much for them for holland
DwrightFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 01:20 PM   #5
BennySammy
Writes like a 16 yr. old girl in her diary

the issue here is that we'd have to sign a guy that is willing to fight for a rotation spot...the Mets seem to view Vargas as a starter and wouldn't just move him to the bullpen
BennySammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #6
DeeKay7685
Donut Licker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennySammy View Post
the issue here is that we'd have to sign a guy that is willing to fight for a rotation spot...the Mets seem to view Vargas as a starter and wouldn't just move him to the bullpen
What if we're willing to pick up some of his last year to trade him. How much would a SP needy team be willing to pay him withput sending us anything of value?
DeeKay7685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #7
BennySammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay7685 View Post
What if we're willing to pick up some of his last year to trade him. How much would a SP needy team be willing to pay him withput sending us anything of value?
but that's the thing, from what PatMahomes said in the other thread, they actually like Vargas...they wouldn't just salary dump him...he will be on the team and will at the very least be fighting for a rotation spot
Old 01-15-2019, 03:19 PM   #8
sheahey
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxt View Post
This appears to be an area the Mets want to upgrade but haven't yet done so. Mostly because the top starting pitchers are still unsigned. Keuchel and Gio would likely fall in line after him. I don't expect we're in on either of them.

Once they're off the board, there are quite a few interesting guys out there who would appear to fall in line with the Mets. Guys who can be had on cheap, short-term deals with low $$, and most likely an upgrade to our 5th spot (Vargas).

Clay Buchholz
Marco Estrada
Jeremy Hellickson
Wade Miley
Drew Pomeranz
Ervin Santana

I like all of those, but I think I'm most intrigued by Ervin Santana and hoping for a nice bounceback from a guy who was coming off two seasons of 8.6 WAR (3.9 in 2016 - 4.6 in 2017). He also was durable making over 60 starts and throwing almost 400 innings.

A finger injury sidelined him most of last year and he never got going. That it wasn't an elbow or shoulder gives me less concern though I'm not sure how the injury has come along.
I dont trust Vargas but he was 3.81 2nd half of the year (8.60 first half). It may be worth while to see how he starts the season rather then burn that money and sign another pitcher in their mid 30's
sheahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:37 PM   #9
BennySammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheahey View Post
I dont trust Vargas but he was 3.81 2nd half of the year (8.60 first half). It may be worth while to see how he starts the season rather then burn that money and sign another pitcher in their mid 30's
it's a lot to bank on Vargas to be that pitcher he was in the 2nd half of last year...we need to add some kind of backup option...I'm still sticking with Buchholz being a good option since his injury concerns will scare off most teams to make him a fixture in their rotation, but we are in a perfect position to add someone like him...he'd probably be much easier to get on a lesser contract as well
Old 01-15-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
pedagogue
Refugee

I’m sticking with wanting Buchholz (for reasons stated in the thread I started). Even if the Mets feel good about Vargas...they need at least 7-8 guys who can pitch in the majors...and they currently gave 4.5-5.5, depending on how you view Vargas.

Hope for the best, plan for lolMets.

If they don’t sign a real MLB caliber guy now, then it will likely be more expensive in trade later and/or crap options with a bunch of AAAA guys. If they had a bunch of arms like Atlanta has in AA/AAA i’d roll the dice with them, but the Mets are scary thin since trading away a bunch of guys over the last couple of seasons with little to nothing to show for them.

Last edited by pedagogue; 01-15-2019 at 06:01 PM.
pedagogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #11
Likwit
Look At Mah Tittehs!

they need to sign 1 or 2 SPs because they no longer have the prospects to deal midseason to get anyone else, and they sure as fuck aren't going to pick up a bad contract to avoid using prospects
Likwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:33 PM   #12
sheahey
Refugee

Quote:
it's a lot to bank on Vargas to be that pitcher he was in the 2nd half of last year...we need to add some kind of backup option...I'm still sticking with Buchholz being a good option since his injury concerns will scare off most teams to make him a fixture in their rotation, but we are in a perfect position to add someone like him...he'd probably be much easier to get on a lesser contract as well
true, if we can have depth in the "everyday"players having depth with sp makes sense as well
sheahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:22 PM   #13
WaitTillNextSeason
Refugee

I think Estrada would be pretty good in Citi. Extreme fly ball pitcher who's only pitched in bandboxes. Worth a shot.
WaitTillNextSeason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:07 PM   #14
nexxt
NeXXXTentacion

Location: probably in the sky, flying with the fishes, or maybe in the ocean, swimming with the pigeons

What is Keuchel waiting for?

I don’t think Harper or Machado would affect him. Though maybe he thinks the Phillies will turn their attention to him and spend big if they miss out on both Harper and Machado.

Maybe he’s waiting to see if Kluber’s dealt?

Hurry up and sign, Dallas.
nexxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:09 PM   #15
hammerhead
R u a qt? lol

Waiting on Phillies apparently

Nightingale said Phillies would love to sign Harper/Machado, Keuchel, and Kimbrel
hammerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:25 PM   #16
rcfilm24
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post

Nightingale said Phillies would love to sign Harper/Machado, Keuchel, and Kimbrel
I hope the Phillies spend their way out of the Mike Trout sweepstakes in 2 years.

Let trout go to the Yankees. Want no part of him in the NL.
rcfilm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:11 PM   #17
Willie'sChampagne4ever
... but he's our Phillies troll

Quote:

I'm not so sure of that, Nightengale seems to be throwing shit at the wall. The plugged in beat writers are not floating these same theories that Nightengale has been. If guys linger and their demands drop I could see the Phillies signing them similar to the Arrieta deal last winter.

Keuchel is a Boras client so do the math, he isn't signing until the very end unless someone offers him a stupid deal.
Willie'sChampagne4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:25 PM   #18
BennySammy

Quote:

That would be fucking bananas if they pull that off....how do the Phillies have so much money? You’re looking at like $700 mil in guaranteed money going to 4 players....insanity

http://bennysamuel.tumblr.com
Old 01-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #19
Willie'sChampagne4ever
... but he's our Phillies troll

Quote:
That would be fucking bananas if they pull that off....how do the Phillies have so much money? You’re looking at like $700 mil in guaranteed money going to 4 players....insanity
There's like a 1% chance that happens, and no way they're spending 700 million. They have money because the owner is rich and wants to win. Plus we've been bottom 10 payroll the past few years while they rebuilt. But they've already added a good amount of payroll so far with Segura, McCutchen, Robertson, and Nicasio.

I think they'll probably get one of the big guys + one more complimentary type signing ala Robertson/McCutchen
Willie'sChampagne4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:41 PM   #20
Buddy Lembeck
Super Moderator

I'd pay $500M to trade the Wilpons for Middleton
Buddy Lembeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > New York Mets