Mets Refugees  

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > New York Mets

Old 01-13-2018, 12:29 AM   #21
bobniborg
bobniborg

Use Lugo as a 'rest the pen' night. Comes in during the 6th or 7th and finishes the game.
bobniborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:34 AM   #22
meandawg
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metfan1971 View Post
See above. Not pretty.
Yeah ad if weight and muscle really helped Noah from getting hurt. There is just nonway of knowing when an injury to a pitcher can happen.
meandawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:07 AM   #23
Roger Dorn
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugottaBelieve View Post
1st time around

deGrom: 7 IP ,1 R, L (Mets get shut out 2-0)
Syndergaard: 8 IP, 0 R, ND (Mets blow 3-0 lead in 9th, L 5-4 in 11)
Harvey: 4 IP, 6 R, L
Matz: 6 IP, 3 R, ND (Mets L 7-5)
Wheelr: 5 IP, 5 R, L
That's frighteningly realistic

Quote:
And any time Dan Plesac speaks I feel like droppin the people's elbow on some baby ducklings.
Roger Dorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:01 AM   #24
tejdog1
A Tej

I thought Mickey turned everyone here into sunshine and puppies and rainbows and unicorns?

deGrom 7 ip, 2 h, er, 1/10 bb/k, Mets win 3-1
Syndergaard 6.2 ip, 3 h, er, 2/9 bb/k, Mets win 4-2
Harvey 6 ip, 5 h, 2 er, 1/5 bb/k, Mets win 6-3
Wheeler 5.2 ip, 6 h, 2 er, 3/7 bb/k, Mets win a bullpen slugfest 9-8
Matz doesn't die in his first start
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:35 AM   #25
jamze132
Refugee

I'd like to see Wheeler, Gsellman, and Lugo battle for the 5th spot in the rotation (pending injuries) and the two that lose out go to the bullpen where they will all be more valuable, if you ask me. All 3 pitchers have problems getting past the 5th inning. Using their stuff out of the bullpen will truly help our staff as a whole.

I love the idea that Callaway is bringing to this team to not let our starters get too deep where their stuff starts to wane. Having 2 capable starters in the bullpen will allow us to NOT overuse the rest of the pen, more specifically our loogie.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #26
ChuckkieB
Refugee

As much as I want to think otherwise, I just don't think Harvey will ever revert back to his dominant ways and it doesn't look like Wheeler can be anything more than what he is now - a 5IP, 4ER pitcher. It looks like the Mets are going to give them a last chance to prove themselves this year but I think they'd be better served to move on from one if not both and bring in at least one 200+ innings innings eater to put in the middle of the rotation. The Mets can't afford to give Harvey and Wheeler another half a season or more to get blasted fairly consistently while they try to figure it out and over work our bullpen. That formula hasn't worked and will not work this year.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #27
Willie777
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckkieB View Post
As much as I want to think otherwise, I just don't think Harvey will ever revert back to his dominant ways and it doesn't look like Wheeler can be anything more than what he is now - a 5IP, 4ER pitcher. It looks like the Mets are going to give them a last chance to prove themselves this year but I think they'd be better served to move on from one if not both and bring in at least one 200+ innings innings eater to put in the middle of the rotation. The Mets can't afford to give Harvey and Wheeler another half a season or more to get blasted fairly consistently while they try to figure it out and over work our bullpen. That formula hasn't worked and will not work this year.
They can and will...the entire team's supposed success relies on a combination of these guys bouncing back. If they don't, there is no one to replace them anyway.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #28
Jwill
Refugee

The Mets need to put these guys in the best position to succeed. I have some blind faith in Calloway and Sandy has been around long enough to know what's best for each guy. To me Wheeler needs to be in the bullpen. If only because Matz is the only lefty on the staff. I believe we have more than enough bullpen arms, and the Ramos trade last year was terrible.

We gave up a better arm than any of the arms we brought back in all our trades to pay a guy $10 mil this year to spot save. Especially when you look at Reeds 2 yr $15.75 m deal. We have more than enough depth and if we lose some of those arms for nothing, it'll make that trade more of a shit show. Especially if the arm we gave up comes up next year and blows hitter away with his high heater.

In reality it takes a guy 2-3 years to become a complete pitcher. That's uninterrupted years. We have deGrom and Thor is on his way. His stuff is so good he can defy those odds. Matz has been on the shelf so long and has a low pain tolerance, but he's a hard throwing lefty and those guys aren't easy to find. So he can get by a little sooner than a righty with similar stuff (I.e. Wheeler).

I'd love for the plan to be: use Wheeler outta the 'pen to start he year, and when he shows the higher ups that he can dominate in that role, Ramos needs to be traded to open up a spot for Wheeler to pitch at the end of games and save the Wikpons some money.

We can be similar to the Indians. They got healthy in the pen, their all world SS grew up quick and hit for power and they got another MVP candidate out of nowhere in Ramirez. That's a lot of good luck, but we have a similar foundation. Conforto can take another step forward and be a true MVP caliber player. The staff stays healthy for once and we add a bat at the deadline. Or Nimmo/Lageres combine to out up an .875ish OPS(lol, I know) but strange things happen. Guys come out of the woodwork every year. Players stay healthy. Things come together.

We have a chance. Let's stop acting like we're the Tigers or the Royals, two teams with no future and no plan in place.

Last edited by Jwill; 01-16-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Jwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:08 PM   #29
johnny_pierogi
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondada View Post
I wonder what happens with Montero
They are designing his bobblehead for a 2019 giveaway as we speak.

johnny_pierogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #30
ChuckkieB
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie777 View Post
They can and will...the entire team's supposed success relies on a combination of these guys bouncing back. If they don't, there is no one to replace them anyway.
I'm all for letting Harvey, Wheeler, Gsellman, Lugo, and anyone else they can dredge up to compete for the 5th spot in the rotation, but we should really fill that #4 slot with veteran who can pitch 200 innings and keep the team in games most of the time.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:19 PM   #31
Willie777
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckkieB View Post
I'm all for letting Harvey, Wheeler, Gsellman, Lugo, and anyone else they can dredge up to compete for the 5th spot in the rotation, but we should really fill that #4 slot with veteran who can pitch 200 innings and keep the team in games most of the time.
:fr edsad
Old 01-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #32
ugottaBelieve
Get off my Lawn!

We've had four of them start four consecutive games sixteen times. Team record in those games below.

2015 (no Wheeler) 3X
4-0
4-0
2-2

2016 (no Wheeler) 10X
4-0
3-1
3-1
3-1
3-1
3-1
2-2
2-2
2-2
1-3

2017 (no Matz) 3X
2-2
0-4
0-4
ugottaBelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:02 PM   #33
Farmboyy
Refugee

Well

The original idea of this thread was that “it looks like it (the rotation being “The Fab Five”) will actually happen.

Now, with the acquisition of Vargas, this likely won’t happen.

But my guess is that Harvey will be the guy that gets bumped by Vargas.....maybe Harvey to extended spring training?
Farmboyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:19 AM   #34
Metfan1971
Tuloooooooooooo

Last year, Wheeler had an ERA over 5. Harvey and Matz had ERAs over 6. What the hell is ďfabĒ about these guys? Gsellman sucks too. Lugo has a torn ligament in his pitching elbow, but donít worry, itís not like Tanaka is the only son of a bitch in the world who can survive that because heís a Yankee. But hey, thereís always Rafael (career ERA over 5) Montero. Who says this team has crappy pitching and needs to spend some fucking money on FAs?
Metfan1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:35 AM   #35
Baseball is a Slog
Refugee

I thought he was gunna make a point without mentioning the Yankees.
Baseball is a Slog is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > New York Mets