Mets Refugees  

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > Minor Leagues

Old 06-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #1
bobniborg
bobniborg

Default Mlb players that were drafted college seniors

My google doesnt work. Anyone know which mlb players were drafted as college seniors? Maybe overthe last 10 years or something. I'm just curious. I know they are org filler but I'm just wondering
bobniborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #2
DeeKay7685
Donut Licker

Any college seniors who were starters and above replacement level? Any all star appearances by a college senior?
DeeKay7685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:02 PM   #3
Pickles
Misch Tickles My Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobniborg View Post
My google doesnt work. Anyone know which mlb players were drafted as college seniors? Maybe overthe last 10 years or something. I'm just curious. I know they are org filler but I'm just wondering
Its hard to find that stuff without doing the research. I'm not willing to do the research but most of the successful senior signs tend to be RPs. Senior signs are meant to fill out your minor league rosters. You hope guys are something more than org guys.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 04:04 PM   #4
RM57
(((RM57)))

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/n...-senior-signs/

Quote:
Again, using data from 2003-2010, the college seniors who were drafted made the majors at a rate of 31.3 percent and provided at least 5.0 WAR in their career at a rate of 7.1 percent. Now, some of those are the Stephen Strasburgs of the world, so I limited the sample to those picked in the sixth round or later. Still more than one in five (21.2 percent) made the majors and 5.6 percent provided five wins of value. I limited the sample to those who got bonuses of $20,000 or less, and still 26.1 percent made the majors and 4.5 percent got to five WAR. Those numbers look pretty good, even compared to sixth- and seventh-round picks. Chances are still good that the senior they draft won’t ever make a dent, but chances were like that in the old days.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:15 PM   #5
arjohn2.0
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay7685 View Post
Any college seniors who were starters and above replacement level? Any all star appearances by a college senior?
Off the top of my head Justin Turner for one.
arjohn2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:46 PM   #6
WaitTillNextSeason
Refugee

The last senior signs we took to make the majors are Chase Bradford, Danny Muno, Travis Taijeron, and Matt den Dekker. You can add Villines to that list pretty soon.

I think Mangum has a good chance of being a major leaguer. Wouldn't bet on the rest.
WaitTillNextSeason is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > Minor Leagues