Mets Refugees  

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > Minor Leagues

Old 07-09-2019, 01:50 AM   #1
Buddy Lembeck
Super Moderator

Default BA Mid-2019 Update

Baseball America released a July update for their top 100 prospects list and three Mets appeared on the list once again. Those three players were Andres Gimenez (52nd), Ronny Mauricio (72nd), and Anthony Kay (80th).

However, Gimenez had a very significant drop on the list, falling 24 spots from his former 28th spot on the list. The 20-year-old shortstop is the number one prospect in the Mets’ farm system, but has struggled this season as he is hitting .235/.305/.343 with three home runs and 19 RBI in 65 games at Double-A Binghamton.

Mauricio, 18, has moved up two spots on their list from 74th and is hitting .285/.322/.380 with three home runs and 22 RBI on the year for low-A Columbia. The shortstop appears to be closing the gap between himself and Gimenez as the top prospect in the organization, despite only being 18 and in the lower levels of the minors.

Kay, 24, moved up five spots from 85th on the list largely due to his superb performance at Double-A Binghamton, most likely. In 12 starts there, the southpaw registered a 7-3 record, 1.49 ERA, and 0.92 WHIP to go along with 70 strikeouts in 66 1/3 innings pitched.

That prompted the team to promote him to Triple-A Syracuse, where he has not fared well in his first three starts. He has so far allowed 15 runs in 14 innings of work while walking seven batters and allowing opponents to hit .356 off of him.

Next time the list comes out, the hope is that the Mets will have more prospects that are ranked inside the top 100 in baseball as the team is probably destined to be sellers at the MLB Trade Deadline, with Zack Wheeler likely to net the biggest return among rentals.

The team could also see some new names added because of last month’s MLB Draft, with Brett Baty and Matthew Allan serving as the likeliest ones to make the list.
Buddy Lembeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:01 AM   #2
Buddy Lembeck
Super Moderator

Kelenic still at #25.
Dunn not ranked.
Buddy Lembeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:53 AM   #3
WaitTillNextSeason
Refugee

Gimenez always felt kinda weak as a Top 30 prospect. He may end up being way better than Rosario as a real baseball player but definitely doesn't have the same kind of wow tools

That seems low on Mauricio, though. I expect him to be higher on other lists
WaitTillNextSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:34 AM   #4
DeeKay7685
Donut Licker

How many teams have more than one top 20 or 30 overall prospect that is not below .500 at the ML level?
I want their GM and scouts!
DeeKay7685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #5
trikery
Refugee

Where we would be with the farm if we had just avoided that trade........ top 5 I'm guessing.
trikery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:55 PM   #6
nexxt
NeXXXTentacion

Location: probably in the sky, flying with the fishes, or maybe in the ocean, swimming with the pigeons

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikery View Post
Where we would be with the farm if we had just avoided that trade........ top 5 I'm guessing.
no. Not even top 10, maybe top 15.

This is a bottom half farm. Kelenic and Dunn aren't making it top 5
nexxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:15 PM   #7
hammerhead
R u a qt? lol

Law said it would be top 10 for sure with Kelenic and Dunn, maybe top 5
hammerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 03:34 PM   #8
Fred Snow
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
Fred Snow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:17 PM   #9
trikery
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxt View Post
no. Not even top 10, maybe top 15.

This is a bottom half farm. Kelenic and Dunn aren't making it top 5
Bleacher Report has us ranked 15th after the draft. Seattle is 5th and Kelenic is their #1 with Dunn their #3 prospect. How exactly would we be a bottom half farm. We pulled 2 first rounders out of the draft getting the top prep arm out there. Plus 4 top 100 prospects according to BR.

If you went by MLB rankings we would have 5 top 100 prospects.

I don't see your logic.
Old 07-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #10
nexxt
NeXXXTentacion

Location: probably in the sky, flying with the fishes, or maybe in the ocean, swimming with the pigeons

Quote:
Bleacher Report has us ranked 15th after the draft. Seattle is 5th and Kelenic is their #1 with Dunn their #3 prospect. How exactly would we be a bottom half farm. We pulled 2 first rounders out of the draft getting the top prep arm out there. Plus 4 top 100 prospects according to BR.

I don't see your logic.
I wasn’t including this years draft. Especially when our top guys are all HS kids. Would like to see them play professionally or at least at a higher level before slotting them in any rankings.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #11
trikery
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexxt View Post
I wasn’t including this years draft. Especially when our top guys are all HS kids. Would like to see them play professionally or at least at a higher level before slotting them in any rankings.
What does that have to do with having 5 top 100 guys? We would have drafted a first rounder and a second rounder no matter what, so talent would have came in.

I still don't see how you make some claim that it's a bottom tier system if you wipe out the Cano trade. It's a silly negative stance to take, and really unwarranted. The team is lots of things but the farm isn't looking like shit even with Brodie destroying it. After what he did Im surprised we are still in the middle. The fact that we are in the middle minus the #20 and #67 prospect on the MLB rankings means that we would most certainly have jumped up more than 5 spots to be a top 10 system had we kept them.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:58 PM   #12
WaitTillNextSeason
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
I mean Law's also the high-man on Dunn and generally doesn't move off his first opinions closer to the consensus, for better or for worse

Pre-draft our system was weak. Even if you like Gimenez and Mauricio a ton there's not a ton of depth here -- after the Top 10 or so there's a pretty big drop-off.

There's a lot of talent at the lower levels so many it's a really good system in a year or two but right now I think the consensus (Law aside) is that it's pretty meh
WaitTillNextSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:06 PM   #13
nexxt
NeXXXTentacion

Quote:
What does that have to do with having 5 top 100 guys? We would have drafted a first rounder and a second rounder no matter what, so talent would have came in.

I still don't see how you make some claim that it's a bottom tier system if you wipe out the Cano trade. It's a silly negative stance to take, and really unwarranted. The team is lots of things but the farm isn't looking like shit even with Brodie destroying it. After what he did Im surprised we are still in the middle. The fact that we are in the middle minus the #20 and #67 prospect on the MLB rankings means that we would most certainly have jumped up more than 5 spots to be a top 10 system had we kept them.
I’m not sure what your problem is with what I said. It’s an okay system. It’s nothing to get excited about. It’s mid tier at best. I’m sure you disagree and that’s okay.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #14
tejdog1
A Tej

Dude it was a consensus top 15 farm before all the offseason fuckery.
Kelenic, but also Dunn, Santana, Adolph, etc...
tejdog1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:44 PM   #15
FONZIE993
Troll?

BP has Mauricio at 45.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:58 PM   #16
LTK
Refugee

Quote:

I don't see your logic.
Bleacher Report? They know about as much about prospects as I do. or Tej. Right?

3 guys in the top 35 draftees this year helps, that's like adding 3 first round picks, or maybe 2 firsts and an early 2nd if you want to split hairs on Wolf ranked #34 or something like that.

Alvarez, our 17 year old catcher recently promoted to Kingsport is, I think a 1st round pick quality, as good as Baty as a prospect with a chance of better if he can actually catch (not read a single report so no idea).

SWR, who, I'd rank over Kay personally is fringe top 100 and I think BA is low on Mauricio. Vientos is a fun prospect too and he's like our 8th best prospect or something like that.

Mets system looks not too bad to me, but it's nearly all lower level talent.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:27 AM   #17
tejdog1
A Tej

I can't believe this fucking asshole cunt walked in and inside of two months traded the fucking... THAT SEASONS 6th overall pick.
tejdog1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #18
Felix the Cat
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
I can't believe this fucking asshole cunt walked in and inside of two months traded the fucking... THAT SEASONS 6th overall pick.
It's still so fucking depressing.
Felix the Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:13 PM   #19
Metsareback
Refugee

Don't worry guys we're gonna get a top 5 pick next year to replace roided Kelenic
Metsareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #20
GrittyandGutty

losing kelenic fucking blows but some of you are acting like the entire farm system has been nuked and there's never going to be hope again.
GrittyandGutty is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > Minor Leagues