do i even need to chime in here?
You > Valent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:45 PM   #4
ROACH 33
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by You > Valent View Post
do i even need to chime in here?
Heís Dutch you have to give him some leeway.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Fred Snow
Refugee

Fred Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:45 PM   #6
WaitTillNextSeason
Refugee

Kingsport is loaded
WaitTillNextSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:22 PM   #7
Pickles
Misch Tickles My Pickle

I wrote him up a few weeks ago. The jist is the kid has some baseball feel, some swing and miss but tattoos the ball. Spin is getting him right now. But isn’t like every other Appy hitter who lays off the breaking ball completely. He’s battling the pitch, which you want to see. I also saw him bring stuff he was working on pregame with the Minor League hitting instructors in game, taking a letter high FB outside up the middle for a titanic double off the high CF wall. He’s the 2nd best prospect on the team, no doubt. I’ve talked to multiple scouts in agreement. He’s a top 10 prospect and ahead of Vientos for me.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 11:23 AM   #8
nexxt
NeXXXTentacion

Location: probably in the sky, flying with the fishes, or maybe in the ocean, swimming with the pigeons

Quote:
Shervyen Newton, SS, New York Mets (Low-A Columbia)

This report lacks the early-season looks to give a full picture of how Newton went from insane strikeout totals to knocking the league around in just a couple weeks. The kid is raw at the plate, though, and polar-opposite stretches like these are not surprising.

Newton looks the part, with height, length, a high waist, present strength, tons of projection, and just plain olí solid athletic ability. He has plus raw power now that could grow into plus-plus. He has a plus arm that will play anywhere. Despite the length, his actions at shortstop are smooth. Heís a pure athlete, and he will grow into the ideal corner playerís frame.

The risk here is extreme. Newton shows a feel for tracking pitches and will work counts, but some swing-and-miss will show at times. He also has a tendency to pull off pitches away, and struggles to cover the outer half. From the left side the swing itself is sound, with excellent lift and separation along with the kind of path that will produce impact power down the line. His right-handed swing is less consistent, as he tends to fire late with a varying path, but itís plus bat speed from both sides. In the field, Newton does everything well enough to stay at short, at least through the upper levels. Physical growth will likely mean a move off short to third or right, where he has the physicality to be a solid defender. Heís a below-average runner, but he has a second gear with long strides.

The profile looks the part of a physical, corner masher with a lofted swing, plus power, plus arm, and enough feel to hit to make it work. If the loud tools translate, thereís star ability in his prime. Itís an extreme risk, though, because of the hit tool, and itís true boom-or-bust if that tool doesnít materialize. Prospects, man. Ė David Lee
nexxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #9
blueNorange
Refugee

i feel like every mets prospect report should end with "but he's no jarred kelenic"

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > Minor Leagues