Mets Refugees  

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > Minor Leagues

Old 06-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #221
OlympianX
Refugee

Location: 777437524 Chester Chester Ave Paul Rigggaaal Blvd, on Saturday AKA Brown Town, CA 44441

OlympianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #222
blueNorange
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC View Post
That's a really nice report. Probably hard to find a player review that isn't glowing, but still.

Any idea what his arm angle is?
[YT]
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RuoPomNeJEc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RuoPomNeJEc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YT]
Old 06-09-2009, 04:58 PM   #223
Rey Ordonez
Refugee

The Draft Tracker on MLB.com has video on Matz. He looks good.

I'm pretty thrilled with this pick. I'm usually pissed off during our Drafts, but I love the fact that Omar took a lefty HS pitcher. That scouting report was pretty awesome.
Rey Ordonez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #224
Forenci
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC View Post
That's a really nice report. Probably hard to find a player review that isn't glowing, but still.

Any idea what his arm angle is?
http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?t...ent_id=4758483

I believe you can find video of him throwing there. He has some very nice mechanics and throws the ball very effortlessly as mentioned in the scouting report.

Good pick, can't really go wrong with taking a young left handed pitcher who projects to add more velocity with time.
Forenci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #225
WC
Sandy Vagina

He has a pretty nice stride. A little bit of the drop and drive kind of thing. Using his legs is probably a good sign for being able to reach his velocity ceiling.

Gotta love a lefty that's developing a slider like that as well as a reportedly good curve, good repertoire to deal with both sides of the plate.
WC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #226
Metsareback
Refugee

BA

Quote:
The consensus top prep pitching prospect in the Northeast, Matz offers plenty of projection as well as good present stuff. For most of the spring, he sat in the 89-91 mph range, but he routinely ran his fastball up to 93-94, and the pitch has some glove-side life. Scouts particularly like the way he attacks hitters inside with his heater. He also shows a solid-average changeup with good deception that sometimes rates as plus. He began throwing a slider midway through the season, but most scouts prefer his 73-75 mph three-quarters curveball, which flashes average to plus but more often rates as a below-average offering at this stage. Matz has a big, projectable frame at 6-foot-3, 185 pounds, but there are some questions about his durability because he had trouble staying healthy for a full season until this year. He also needs to work on his delivery, as he tends to cut himself off and has a head jerk. There is some risk with Matz, but he has enough upside that some team is likely to take him in the top three rounds and buy him out of a commitment to Coastal Carolina.
Metsareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:01 PM   #227
So(ul) Amazing
Refugee

http://www.thesunnews.com/sports/story/908519.html

projected to be a late first round pick he was.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #228
Forenci
Refugee

Is it just me or does his inital motion and the way he throws the ball kind of remind you a bit of Johan's pitching motion? The major difference being that he doesn't really follow through with his back leg like Johan does.
Forenci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #229
Cage
Refugee

Steven Matz: The LHP out of Ward Melville High School (East Setauket, NY) has produced "average" velocity consistently ranging from 88-92, but has touched 94 and scouts believe he can get stronger and thus throw faster. His curveball is projected to be above-average due to good spin and arm speed and he's also thrown a change-up on occassion, but with little consistency. Matz will be heading to Coastal Carolina.

Don't hate it.
Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #230
Rey Ordonez
Refugee

Wow, I really like this kid.

Only problem is that Max Stassi was still on the board. We have problems at Catcher and he's arguably the best Catching prospect in the Draft. Maybe he's told teams that he'll definitely be going to college.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:04 PM   #231
WC
Sandy Vagina

Pick 72, you can do a lot worse than a projectable high school lefty.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #232
blueNorange
Refugee

chances ryan buch falls to the mets in the 3rd round??
Old 06-09-2009, 05:08 PM   #233
Joey Dirt
Hopes Community College Can Compare

WE DRAFTED MATZ? LOL!

He had a sick game against another top high school player marcus stroman this year. throws high 80's low 90's i think with a good curveball.

kid is projectable.
-Diaz is possibly best reliever in baseball, 4 years of control, -24 years old
-Cano and Diaz together are worth more than $112 million
-I知 skeptical mariners would do it, but if it痴 there to be done, I知 in
Joey Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #234
Rey Ordonez
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueNorange View Post
chances ryan buch falls to the mets in the 3rd round??
I really hope so.

At this point, best case scenario is that Max Stassi falls to 103, Omar takes him, we pay him what he wants, and it's like we had a 1st round pick.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #235
Joey Dirt

reports were that mets scouts were at the game that matz pitched against stroman, but there was also TONS of other scouts at the game so I didn't put much into it.

biggest high school game in a while on long island.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #236
WC
Sandy Vagina

There seem to be a number of good catching picks around.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #237
Hire
Administrator

I love lefties who can throw pretty hard, automatically
Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #238
Joey Dirt

Newsday:

The scene was something you rarely see at a baseball game on Long Island. Behind home plate Thursday was a representative from every major-league team with radar guns, pens and pads to document the pitches thrown by Patchogue-Medford righthander Marcus Stroman and Ward Melville lefthander Steven Matz.

>>> View photos of the game

Both players had this game circled on their calendars and it more than lived up to the hype. Need proof? An American League scout said it was the best high school baseball game he has seen in years.

Stroman threw a three-hitter, walked none and struck out 14 for PM (3-5, 3-5) and Matz threw a one-hitter, walked four and struck out 12 as visiting Ward Melville prevailed, 1-0, in Suffolk League I.

"I was looking forward to this for a long time," said the Coastal Carolina-bound Matz. "Getting that last out felt awesome. Stroman hit his first home run off me. It was great to go against him."

The two are close friends, played baseball together in the summer and were roommates when they played in the Area Code Games this past summer. They sent each other text messages before the game asking if they were ready and they certainly were.

"I loved it," the Duke-bound Stroman said. "It was a tough game. We were both pumped up and we both pitched a good game. He's legit. I say he gets drafted high. He mixes his pitches well."

Both were clocked as high as 93 mph. Even in the seventh, Stroman reached 91 and Matz touched 90.

Stroman allowed a leadoff double to Pete Gelsomino in the top of the seventh and Matt LaRocca put down a sacrifice bunt that first baseman Matt Benincasa fielded. He tried for the out at third, but pinch runner Steven Pesapane beat it. Pinch runner Ben Ley stole second and Stroman struck out Pat Rodgers on a curveball in the dirt.

Catcher Mike Johnson blocked it, picked it up and made the throw to first to record the out, but Pesapane broke for the plate and beat a poor throw home for Ward Melville (8-2, 6-0).

"I got behind Gelsomino 3-and-0 and came back with a fastball to make it 3-and-1," Stroman said. "I knew he was sitting dead-red fastball, but I didn't want to throw a curve and walk him. I challenged him and he hit a good shot."

There are no bragging rights for either player offensively. Matz and Stroman each went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts.

"I'll let him talk first and respond to what he says," said Matz, who left a runner stranded at third in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings. "It feels good to beat him since we're friends."
Old 06-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #239
Rey Ordonez
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by HireDePodesta View Post
I love lefties who can throw pretty hard, automatically
Same.

On a similar note, anybody know what happened to Nathan Vineyard? I remember when he was considering retirement, but haven't really heard anything from him since.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #240
WC
Sandy Vagina

What I particularly like are the mentions of tailing action on his fastball.

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > Minor Leagues