Mets Refugees  

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > Minor Leagues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2018, 08:07 PM   #1
Pickles
Misch Tickles My Pickle
 
Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dalton, Ga
Posts: 7,944
Default Mets prospect questions

Iíve been assigned to the Mets organization the last 3 years for the Minor League Baseball Analyst. This year, I did a bunch of research (Talking to contacts, 1st Hand reports) but gave up the org because we have a scouting friend (contract wasnít renewed by his team) covering the org since he has had Mets coverage for awhile.

Anyway, Iím no longer contracted to cover the Mets org. So I can answer questions. Have any?
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:18 PM   #2
WC
Sandy Vagina
 
WC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 60,931
Default

yes

which mets prospects are good prospects and which mets prospects are bad prospects

I'll hang up and listen
WC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:07 PM   #3
Pickles
Misch Tickles My Pickle
 
Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dalton, Ga
Posts: 7,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WC View Post
yes

which mets prospects are good prospects and which mets prospects are bad prospects

I'll hang up and listen
Good: Gimenez, Kelenic, Alonso, Mauricio, Newton, Dunn, Peterson
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #4
WaitTillNextSeason
Refugee
 
WaitTillNextSeason's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5,432
Default

Pick one: Dunn, Kilome, Peterson, Szapucki

And is Ross Adolph interesting or nah
WaitTillNextSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:09 PM   #5
Pickles
Misch Tickles My Pickle
 
Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dalton, Ga
Posts: 7,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTillNextSeason View Post
Pick one: Dunn, Kilome, Peterson, Szapucki

And is Ross Adolph interesting or nah
Dunn over Szapucki bc of Thomasí injury. Peterson is a #4starter ceiling. Kilome is a reliever long term.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:39 PM   #6
Fred Snow
Refugee
 
Fred Snow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 48,285
Default

What's your top 10 of course?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Lembeck View Post
Our record over the past 3 decades speaks for itself. It has nothing to do with the Yankees and everything to do with toxic ownership.
Fred Snow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:47 PM   #7
ugottaBelieve
Get off my Lawn!
 
ugottaBelieve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mojave Desert
Posts: 55,037
Default

Anybody look ready to help out next year?

(besides Alonso)
ugottaBelieve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:14 PM   #8
Pickles
Misch Tickles My Pickle
 
Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dalton, Ga
Posts: 7,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugottaBelieve View Post
Anybody look ready to help out next year?

(besides Alonso)
Kilome.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:14 PM   #9
Pickles
Misch Tickles My Pickle
 
Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dalton, Ga
Posts: 7,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Snow View Post
What's your top 10 of course?
1. Gimenez
2. Alonso
3, Kelenic
4. Mauricio
5. Dunn
6. Szapucki
7. Newton
8, Peterson
9. Vientos
10. Sanchez
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:27 PM   #10
Pickles
Misch Tickles My Pickle
 
Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dalton, Ga
Posts: 7,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
1. Gimenez
2. Alonso
3, Kelenic
4. Mauricio
5. Dunn
6. Szapucki
7. Newton
8, Peterson
9. Vientos
10. Sanchez
Meant to put Santana last not Sanchez.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:26 AM   #11
Fred Snow
Refugee
 
Fred Snow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 48,285
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Meant to put Santana last not Sanchez.
So would Sanchez be the best catching prospect? Thoughts on his development? Any other Mets catching prospects of note?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Lembeck View Post
Our record over the past 3 decades speaks for itself. It has nothing to do with the Yankees and everything to do with toxic ownership.
Fred Snow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:19 PM   #12
Pickles
Misch Tickles My Pickle
 
Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dalton, Ga
Posts: 7,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Snow View Post
So would Sanchez be the best catching prospect? Thoughts on his development? Any other Mets catching prospects of note?
Ali Sanchez is a good defender with a solid hit tool. Doesnít walk at all. He has a 30% chance of becoming a MLB regular and 70% chance becoming a backup. Itís Nido and Sanchez. Thatís it.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:25 AM   #13
tejdog1
A Tej
 
tejdog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 15,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
1. Gimenez
2. Alonso
3, Kelenic
4. Mauricio
5. Dunn
6. Szapucki
7. Newton
8, Peterson
9. Vientos
10. Santana
My top 13 FWIW ( not much since I don't follow the system closely anymore )

1. Kelenic
2. Gimenez
3. Alonso
4. Szapucki
5. Mauricio
6. Vientos
7. Petersen
8. Kilome
9. Dunn
10. Kay
11. SWR
12. Santana
13. Newton

Questions for Pickles:
1. Do you feel confident in Dunn being a SP longterm?
2. Wasn't there issues with his velocity in Binghamton (ie: losing it big time in the 4th/5th innings)
3. Do Newton's Ks bother you any?
4. What seperates Vientos (9 on your list) from Kelenic (3) and Mauricio (4)?
5. Where would you rank Kilome, Kay and SWR?

Last edited by tejdog1; 10-05-2018 at 02:29 AM.
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:55 AM   #14
dmtt61d
Refugee
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 15,418
Default

Pickles, two questions for you (and thanks for sharing your insight!):

1) Noticed you havenít mentioned Anthony Kay yet. Whatís your general outlook on him?

2) Any thoughts on Will Toffey, or not enough time in the Mets system yet to evaluate?
dmtt61d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:32 AM   #15
Pickles
Misch Tickles My Pickle
 
Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dalton, Ga
Posts: 7,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtt61d View Post
Pickles, two questions for you (and thanks for sharing your insight!):

1) Noticed you havenít mentioned Anthony Kay yet. Whatís your general outlook on him?

2) Any thoughts on Will Toffey, or not enough time in the Mets system yet to evaluate?
1. I just answered it above. MLB pitcher. The issue is whether the stuff is good enough to be anything more than a 4A/5th starter type. There are people who are higher on him in prospect media much higher than I am.

2. I had Toffey as an amateur and thought he was a 4th/5th rounder, which he was. He has an idea at the plate and knows the zone. He grinds out ABs. The Mets love guys like that. Unfortunately, he's a 3B and may never have enough power to stay there. He's also not an athlete I have moving around to other places either. He probably graded out real high on whatever analytical evaluation system the Mets org uses since there are a lot of college drafted players with similar profiles.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:25 AM   #16
Pickles
Misch Tickles My Pickle
 
Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dalton, Ga
Posts: 7,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
My top 13 FWIW ( not much since I don't follow the system closely anymore )

1. Kelenic
2. Gimenez
3. Alonso
4. Szapucki
5. Mauricio
6. Vientos
7. Petersen
8. Kilome
9. Dunn
10. Kay
11. SWR
12. Santana
13. Newton

Questions for Pickles:
1. Do you feel confident in Dunn being a SP longterm?
2. Wasn't there issues with his velocity in Binghamton (ie: losing it big time in the 4th/5th innings)
3. Do Newton's Ks bother you any?
4. What seperates Vientos (9 on your list) from Kelenic (3) and Mauricio (4)?
5. Where would you rank Kilome, Kay and SWR?
I haven't spoken to one evaluator who has thought Vientos > Newton. One thought it was even but the rest (3 other evaluators and myself) thought it was Newton.

1. 50/50 reaching ceiling
2. Yes. The strength work he puts in this off-season will make or break him imo.
3. No. Pitch recognition continued to improve. Didn't chase FBs.
4. Vientos has some issues at the plate more likely to give him trouble as he advances to full-season ball and the upper minors. Also, 3B isn't a premium position. Give me the toolsy, athletic types over the guy who has some limitations in that area. There is a lot of raw power lying with Vientos. I don't believe in the bat yet. Plus, upside potential goes to the two other guys.
5.
A. Kilome = Reliever
B. Kay = 5th Starter likely, 4th starter less-likely. His stuff isn't impressive. I saw him before his good stretch. Others who saw him during that stretch thought it was more his command improving than his stuff. He's a MLB pitcher. However, his type is all around the Four A and fringe MLB starter in baseball.
C. SWR. The Mets were on a player much higher than others had him. Before a LOL Mets comment from someone else, that is what makes amateur baseball so unique. Speaking with a cross-checker from another team, they had him in the 4th/5th range internally. A lot of amatuers is the decision makers seeing the guys perform the 1 or 2 times they get to see them. The Mets may not have deGrom if he wasn't on their radar because the area guy was able to identify deGrom early enough to allow the decision makers chances to see him and form their opinions. For SWR, the decision boils down to, "Do you think he is a starter long term?" Most teams didn't feel confident answering that. The Mets believe he is. You don't give $1.85 million to a guy, HS guy especially, if you don't think you've got a starter. My sources weren't as convinced. Time will tell. I will go with my sources over the Mets thinking because I don't talk to the Mets.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:07 PM   #17
tejdog1
A Tej
 
tejdog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 15,412
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
I haven't spoken to one evaluator who has thought Vientos > Newton. One thought it was even but the rest (3 other evaluators and myself) thought it was Newton.

1. 50/50 reaching ceiling
2. Yes. The strength work he puts in this off-season will make or break him imo.
3. No. Pitch recognition continued to improve. Didn't chase FBs.
4. Vientos has some issues at the plate more likely to give him trouble as he advances to full-season ball and the upper minors. Also, 3B isn't a premium position. Give me the toolsy, athletic types over the guy who has some limitations in that area. There is a lot of raw power lying with Vientos. I don't believe in the bat yet. Plus, upside potential goes to the two other guys.
5.
A. Kilome = Reliever
B. Kay = 5th Starter likely, 4th starter less-likely. His stuff isn't impressive. I saw him before his good stretch. Others who saw him during that stretch thought it was more his command improving than his stuff. He's a MLB pitcher. However, his type is all around the Four A and fringe MLB starter in baseball.
C. SWR. The Mets were on a player much higher than others had him. Before a LOL Mets comment from someone else, that is what makes amateur baseball so unique. Speaking with a cross-checker from another team, they had him in the 4th/5th range internally. A lot of amatuers is the decision makers seeing the guys perform the 1 or 2 times they get to see them. The Mets may not have deGrom if he wasn't on their radar because the area guy was able to identify deGrom early enough to allow the decision makers chances to see him and form their opinions. For SWR, the decision boils down to, "Do you think he is a starter long term?" Most teams didn't feel confident answering that. The Mets believe he is. You don't give $1.85 million to a guy, HS guy especially, if you don't think you've got a starter. My sources weren't as convinced. Time will tell. I will go with my sources over the Mets thinking because I don't talk to the Mets.
Thank you so much for this, and for doing this whole thread. You rock it, sir.
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #18
blueNorange
Refugee
 
blueNorange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: (į ͜ʖį)_╭∩╮
Posts: 51,853
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
1. Gimenez
2. Alonso
3, Kelenic
4. Mauricio
5. Dunn
6. Szapucki
7. Newton
8, Peterson
9. Vientos
10. Sanchez
as in ali sanchez?

does he have a chance to hit because his defense is legit good right?
__________________
blueNorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:37 PM   #19
Pickles
Misch Tickles My Pickle
 
Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dalton, Ga
Posts: 7,944
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueNorange View Post
as in ali sanchez?

does he have a chance to hit because his defense is legit good right?
I ranked him there by accident. Should have said Santana. There is a serious drop off in probable outcomes between 9 & the rest of the system. Sure, there are some guys who could surprise but mostly the ceiling guys are Top 9 guys.
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #20
FONZIE993
Troll?
 
FONZIE993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Pine Barrens
Posts: 62,816
Default

Is this team shorting itself in International Scouts?
__________________
! = Sarcasm
FONZIE993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > Minor Leagues
 
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.