Mets Refugees  

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > New York Mets

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 12:19 AM   #21
Kraft4Prez
Gossip Girl
 
Kraft4Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 24,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandawg View Post
Another vote for Joe Buck being a perfectly fine announcer. Everyone thinks he hates their team cause he doesn’t get excited enough.
Is it not a valid complaint that he just doesn't get excited enough? I don't think he has any bias. He's just boring. Doesn't that make him a bad broadcaster?
Kraft4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:21 AM   #22
jmac17
Refugee
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 11,086
Default

There are times to get excited about plays. Like manning to tyree as an example.
jmac17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:59 AM   #23
oldskool155
Refugee
 
oldskool155's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 34,275
Default

his call for the david tyree catch is one of the worst of all time
oldskool155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:59 AM   #24
Acrimony
Refugee
 
Acrimony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Jersey
Posts: 836
Default

Buck's call on the Tyree catch was abysmal.

He just witnessed the greatest play in the history of football and he called it like he was getting a price check on lettuce in a grocery store.
Acrimony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:23 AM   #25
Pyle
IS NOT a way cooler Greek than bno
 
Pyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 30,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool155 View Post
his call for the david tyree catch is one of the worst of all time
Exactly.

Listen to Marv Albert call it on the radio for example.


Way better.

Buck is dry like toast. Zero passion in his calls.
__________________
Quote:
Steps to making someone humble: 1. Suplex them. 2. Put them in a camel clutch. 3. Break their back. 4. Sodomize their anus. 4a. Sodomize old country way.
Pyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:27 AM   #26
tejdog1
A Tej
 
tejdog1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Danbury, CT
Posts: 15,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyle View Post
Exactly.

Listen to Marv Albert call it on the radio for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB1Eqv7veho

Way better.

Buck is dry like toast. Zero passion in his calls.
And now Buck

tejdog1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:38 AM   #27
jimmigan
Refugee
 
jimmigan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 23,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraft4Prez View Post
Also the Big Papi walkoff against the Yankees before the comeback also fucking terrible. It was like "oh really? we've gotta do this again?"
That's because Joe was so looking forward to moving on to broadcasting the world series with his beloved Cardinals playing the iconic Yankees.

Joe is only a "fan" of the St. Louis Cardinals so yeah, most fans don't think he likes their team.
jimmigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:41 AM   #28
metzol
Refugee
 
metzol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Orange, NJ
Posts: 18,953
Default

Wasn't that his father's approach, who is considered one of the greatest broadcasters of all time?
Let the play dictate the emotion. Don't force the emotion and tell the viewer how to feel. Michael Kay is the worst because of this. If he called the Tyree catch he would be screaming about how awesome it was and how we just witnessed one of the greatest plays ever and oh my god this is incredible! Shut up. I know how to feel.
__________________
"I have till now counted my friends on a hand of amputated fingers." Sebastian Dangerfield
metzol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:35 AM   #29
TuscanyTile
Refugee
 
TuscanyTile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metzol View Post
Wasn't that his father's approach, who is considered one of the greatest broadcasters of all time?
Let the play dictate the emotion. Don't force the emotion and tell the viewer how to feel. Michael Kay is the worst because of this. If he called the Tyree catch he would be screaming about how awesome it was and how we just witnessed one of the greatest plays ever and oh my god this is incredible! Shut up. I know how to feel.
Yes, his father Jack's approach was to be understated but there's a world of difference between him and Joe. Jack showed plenty of emotion (watch the video below). Also Joe's calls just don't seem to convey any sense of the situation. They feel like they could be preseason (or spring training) calls.

Here are some Jack Buck calls for contrast:

__________________
“The merry-go-round will be in motion”
TuscanyTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:49 AM   #30
TuscanyTile
Refugee
 
TuscanyTile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,622
Default

To those who are fans of Joe Buck, when did you start watching baseball? I'm going to guess you started watching in the last 15-20 years.

Btw, I've heard some of Howard's interviews with Joe Buck. Yes he's a decent guy who does have a sense of humor about himself. But that doesn't make him a good announcer any more than say, Matt Den Dekker being a nice guy would make him a good baseball player.
__________________
“The merry-go-round will be in motion”

Last edited by TuscanyTile; 10-11-2018 at 07:15 AM.
TuscanyTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:10 AM   #31
metzol
Refugee
 
metzol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Orange, NJ
Posts: 18,953
Default

I've been watching sports for about 40 years. Announcers have different styles. Some are understated and some are too over the top. I can't clearly explain why I like some and hate others. It's more of a gut thing.
I loved Howard Cosell who was more on the overstated side. But one of my favorites of all time from any sport was Pat Sumerall. He was understated especially compared to John Madden. But Sumerall was a minimalist who would let the play speak for itself. I loved him in the NFL playoffs in the early 90s.

As far as broadcasters being likeable, Michael Kay is very likeable. He's respectful and courteous to his callers and seems decent. But his play calling is just grating.
I brought up Buck's Howard interviews because he was very likeable and I felt bad about the level of hate and vitriol directed at him. I just don't understand it. He's a broadcaste. He's not Hitler.
__________________
"I have till now counted my friends on a hand of amputated fingers." Sebastian Dangerfield
metzol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:20 AM   #32
TuscanyTile
Refugee
 
TuscanyTile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metzol View Post
I've been watching sports for about 40 years. Announcers have different styles. Some are understated and some are too over the top. I can't clearly explain why I like some and hate others. It's more of a gut thing.
I loved Howard Cosell who was more on the overstated side. But one of my favorites of all time from any sport was Pat Sumerall. He was understated especially compared to John Madden. But Sumerall was a minimalist who would let the play speak for itself. I loved him in the NFL playoffs in the early 90s.

As far as broadcasters being likeable, Michael Kay is very likeable. He's respectful and courteous to his callers and seems decent. But his play calling is just grating.
I brought up Buck's Howard interviews because he was very likeable and I felt bad about the level of hate and vitriol directed at him. I just don't understand it. He's a broadcaste. He's not Hitler.
Pat Summerall was low key but his voice had a lot more "gravitas" to it. Plus I will admit he had some great color analysts (e.g. the very animated John Madden) that made his style work perfectly. But even if we put Summerall with Troy Aikman, he'd be a million times better than Joe Buck.

While I will admit Joe Buck has improved a little bit in recent years (he now shows a pulse) I hate when I know he's the one doing the game. Announcing in general is brutal these days (GKR being a MAJOR exception).
__________________
“The merry-go-round will be in motion”
TuscanyTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:28 AM   #33
metzol
Refugee
 
metzol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South Orange, NJ
Posts: 18,953
Default

I mean that's fine and valid. This is all subjective anyway. Some people actually like Kay.
__________________
"I have till now counted my friends on a hand of amputated fingers." Sebastian Dangerfield
metzol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:34 AM   #34
TuscanyTile
Refugee
 
TuscanyTile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 1,622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metzol View Post
I mean that's fine and valid. This is all subjective anyway. Some people actually like Kay.
Yeah, it is all subjective. I'm just surprised someone who knows what good announcing is would like Joe Buck. Do you think he holds a candle to guys like Vin Scully, Bob Costas, Jack Buck? (national broadcasters back in the 1980's/early 90's)

And in football, how does he compare against Pat Summerall, Vin Scully, Dick Enberg, Charlie Jones, Don Criqui, Curt Gowdy, etc?
__________________
“The merry-go-round will be in motion”
TuscanyTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:52 AM   #35
TyrionLannister
Nerd's Nerd
 
TyrionLannister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 32,375
Default

Those terrible Buck calls in the video are mostly not that bad. A few are, but if those are the worst 10 you can find in the 500 years he's been broadcasting, that's not bad. I agree he's boring and unemotional, but some of those plays just weren't that exciting. The only ones I had a problem with are the ones where crazy shit is going on like you never see, and he's basically ignoring it.
TyrionLannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:35 AM   #36
mobile.project
You can't Photoshop common sense
 
mobile.project's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 45,672
Default

Bucks calls are terrible.
__________________
Suck it, Benny!
mobile.project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #37
Kraft4Prez
Gossip Girl
 
Kraft4Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 24,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrionLannister View Post
Those terrible Buck calls in the video are mostly not that bad. A few are, but if those are the worst 10 you can find in the 500 years he's been broadcasting, that's not bad. I agree he's boring and unemotional, but some of those plays just weren't that exciting. The only ones I had a problem with are the ones where crazy shit is going on like you never see, and he's basically ignoring it.
But in those 500 years of broadcasting what are his highlight calls?
Kraft4Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #38
Spelf
Formerly MikeZ
 
Spelf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York State
Posts: 5,003
Default

I was sold on Buck after I heard him on Pardon My Take to be honest. Seems like a good dude...I will say he's much better on football than baseball though
Spelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #39
ButchHuskey
Refugee
 
ButchHuskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Astoria
Posts: 1,281
Default

Joe Buck is basically white bread - it's more or less fine, but most sandwiches would be improved with a different kind of bread.
ButchHuskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:05 AM   #40
Fred Snow
Refugee
 
Fred Snow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 49,549
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchHuskey View Post
Joe Buck is basically white bread - it's more or less fine, but most sandwiches would be improved with a different kind of bread.
Plain bagel.

But in any case how is this even a question. Angel Hernandez by a mile.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Lembeck View Post
Our record over the past 3 decades speaks for itself. It has nothing to do with the Yankees and everything to do with toxic ownership.
Fred Snow is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > New York Mets
 
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.