Mets Refugees  

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > New York Mets

Old 09-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #41
Gomo
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugottaBelieve View Post
If we don't upgrade the offense somewhere, we're still going to have a lot of games like the last two.

The most obvious place after C (hard to acquire), 1B (gamble with Alonso), is to get somebody better than Frazier or Bruce and then move one of them.
Gotta sign a catcher, no question. HOWEVER, I think a defensive catcher would be more valuable to us. We literally have no catcher that can throw out a fuckin' baserunner. And all of our starters are slow to the plate and don't pay attention to runners. We need a guy who can throw.

As far as offensive upgrade, I have no idea. I'd be willing to trade Alonso for an established big bat.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #42
WaitTillNextSeason
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugottaBelieve View Post
If we don't upgrade the offense somewhere, we're still going to have a lot of games like the last two.

The most obvious place after C (hard to acquire), 1B (gamble with Alonso), is to get somebody better than Frazier or Bruce and then move one of them.
C shouldn't be that tough this off-season. There are several good ones on the market.
WaitTillNextSeason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:45 PM   #43
Frequency
Refugee

Frazier is exactly who they signed. Good D,good power bat,low avg. We knew that.

Bruce is likely to make a bunch of haters eat their words next year with his hr/rbi's if healthy.

I'm hoping Alonso actually gets traded. he will cost at games at 1b and then spiral into a major league career slump because he feels bad about the errors he is committing.

Dom has a decent glove and is looking like he has a clue at the plate lately. Give me 20/80/280 from him and I would be VERY happy.
Frequency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:00 PM   #44
WaitTillNextSeason
Refugee

who is this guy
WaitTillNextSeason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:11 AM   #45
gallstone
Dr. Monkeyballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequency View Post
Frazier is exactly who they signed. Good D,good power bat,low avg. We knew that.

Bruce is likely to make a bunch of haters eat their words next year with his hr/rbi's if healthy.

I'm hoping Alonso actually gets traded. he will cost at games at 1b and then spiral into a major league career slump because he feels bad about the errors he is committing.

Dom has a decent glove and is looking like he has a clue at the plate lately. Give me 20/80/280 from him and I would be VERY happy.
Dom is looking fat again though.
gallstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:49 AM   #46
robardin
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTillNextSeason View Post
who is this guy
He's the guy who:

- Is picking Jay Bruce to have a big 2019
- Wants to trade Alonso before he plays a single game in the majors
- Thinks Dom Smith is a better option at 1B, like a "20/80/280 guy"
- Thinks in terms of HRs / Hits / AVG
- Thinks Nimmo is overrated because his value is inflated by "useless walks"

None of this is a slam on him per se, simply repeating what he's posted in the last 24 hours

You can judge for yourself
Old 09-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #47
JPSchmack
Stonecutters Member

Bruce isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be.

But he's making $13 million for the next two years, while we have TWO OTHER LEFTY corner outfielders, and 2.5 other guys we'd rather try at 1B. (Alonso, Smith, Cespedes).

So the descriptions of him as a "waste" and a "mistake" are accurate. Even if he's a better hitter than Smith or Alonso, we'd rather see them at 1B because Bruce ain't a 1B yet. (and Poor Wilmer, I love him to death, but we have no spot for a utility guy who can't play 3B, SS, 2B or OF).
Old 09-21-2018, 10:47 PM   #48
Buddy Lembeck
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSchmack View Post
Bruce isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be.
He's averaging 0.5 WAR over the last 5 seasons (ages 27-31). He has long ass slumps where he's one of the worst players in baseball and he's hurt a lot (including not admitting he's hurt and playing through it and hurting the team). I think he's treated rather fairly. It's been a long time since he was consistently producing and healthy. 2017 was more of an aberration at this point. We were beyond stupid to give him three years guaranteed for not insignificant money regardless of the composition of the rest of the team.

A Frazier-esue contract would have been more than fair (2 years at 2/3 the AAV). I mean their offensive production is very similar except you get plus D at 3B from one guy instead of average-ish D in a corner OF spot from the other guy.

Bruce Career: .247/.318/.467 (.785) 109OPS+
Frazier Career: .243/.319/.453 (.772) 109OPS+

Bruce 2014-2018: .236/.303/.448 (.751) 102OPS+ 2.6rWAR 2.8fWAR 2726PA
Frazier 2014-2018: .240/.319/.456 (.775) 111OPS+ 17.7rWAR 16.4fWAR 3019PA

Bruce contract: $39M/3
Frazier contract: $17M/2

Last edited by Buddy Lembeck; 09-21-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Buddy Lembeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Mets Refugees > Mets Baseball > New York Mets